Sunday, 5 May 2013

An Abundance Of Katherines by John Green

Just finished this book. Will sleep soon. Maybe after a bowl of Indomie because tummy. Is. Aching. For. Food.


An Abundance Of Katherines by John Green
Star!Star!Star!Star!No Star

Former child prodigy Colin Singleton wants a Eureka moment so that he can be someone that matters in the world. With that as a motivation, he thought of a theorem that can predict relationships ('cause he's sick of getting dumped by 19 Katherines).

And that's the only thing I'm telling you because I don't like typing out what happens in books; I like talking about what I feel on what happens in books. So here goes!

I had mulled over something like this a few times before: Am I important? Will I ever be an admirable somebody in the world? Will I be remembered after I die? After pondering on these questions, I'd feel a bit blue because I'd thought that the answer to those questions was no. But then I thought, regardless of your position in the world, the Earth still orbits the Sun after you die. Time passes by like nothing happened. At the end, you're just like everybody else after death.

"The future will erase everything--there's no level of fame or genius that allows you to transcend oblivion. The infinite future makes that kind of mattering impossible."
--Colin Singleton; An Abundance Of Katherines by John Green.

Upon that revelation, I just dismiss the whole thing because, heck, it doesn't matter. Not entirely but not so large of a scale as what I used to think. I don't want to matter in this world but instead, I want to matter in this life and the people hugely involved in it especially my family and friends; all the people that are dear to me. I want to matter to them as much as they matter to me. All I want is that feeling to be mutual.

“You matter as much as the things that matter to you. And I got so backwards trying to matter to him. All this time, there were real things to care about: real, good people who care about me, and this place. It's so easy to get stuck. You just get caught in being something, being special or cool or whatever, to the point where you don't even know why you need it; you just think you do.”
--Lindsey Lee Wells; An Abundance Of Katherines by John Green.

Therefore, choose what matter to you wisely.

"Even if it's a dumb story, telling it changes other people just the slightest little bit, just as living the story changes me. An infinitesimal change. And that infinitesimal change ripples outward - ever smaller but everlasting. I will get forgotten, but the stories will last. And so we all matter - maybe less than a lot, but always more than some."
--Colin Singleton; An Abundance Of Katherines by John Green.

Now, the book, the book...It's not Green's best work (that's The Fault in Our Stars, hands down) and I prefer Paper Towns than An Abundance Of Katherines. I'd have to reread Looking For Alaska to if I were to properly rank John Green's books amongst each other. There isn't much from this book that I haven't really concluded in my life ("The future is unpredictable." Why, thank you, Colin, for that profound piece of information, you little genius. I'll let this one pass since the story is told in Colin's POV and he's absolutely dense in this area called Life) but to read it and revisit my past thoughts was nice. Suffice to say, this book won't bother me as much as Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars did; those two really changed my views on certain things. Nevertheless, it's an enjoyable read, like all Green's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment