Monday, 9 September 2013

Of being alone

So I'm waiting for my programme briefing to begin. Alone, I should add, for this post has something to do with that info. With only the company of my S3, music and a good book. I had lunch alone as well while others had lively chats with their friends.

I am quite fond of solitude, so I don't mind doing things alone. I prefer doing things alone, actually. Something to do with the phrase, less people, less bullshit, perhaps. Because when seated closely with strangers (worse, face-to-face), the obligation to strike up light conversations is there and when that halts, silence takes over and thw feeling of awkwardness joins in. So I always create this invisible bubble around myself as a way of segregation from others when I am not with my friends. Earphones plugged in, volume increased, buried in a book, glasses off sometimes. I figure that these steps are done in order to cut off my senses of sight and hearing a bit, enough to not busy myself with others. If I don't listen to music, I'd probably eavesdrop what others are saying and make (snarky) comments in my mind that. If I have my glasses on, I would look at people blankly and I just really don't like that (guys with good looks are exceptions though) (also, the reason why I walk with my eyes downcast sometimes). If I read a book, I shut out everything else.

So the music on, the glasses put away, the reading are all done in order to have something to focus on instead of dealing the possibility of human interaction with suh-tuh-rain-gers.

Don't get me wrong. I am not glamorising introvert tendencies (or whatever this is called) but this is just how I am since, ever. I like talking to people but I don't like having brief, empty conversations. If we have common interests, then I can promise you an animated conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment