Tuesday, 20 August 2013

I am bothered by the existence of iPads/tablets

I see kids these days hanging around with iPads and tablets. And it irks me.

When I was your age, I only read books (and got my weekly doses of Digimon, Pokemon, Doraemon, Shin Chan and Cardcaptor Sakura--but let's not go into that). I had no experience playing with electronic devices. I played my Barbie dolls with my neighbours instead.

That's not why it irks me though. I am not jealous of you kids. I had something better at that age. I had--imaaaaginaaation (if you did not read that in Spongebob's voice then I just--I just don't know what to say to you).

"Instant gratification," as my cousin has put it. That's what kids of this day and age receive--and it is destroying their imagination. Reading is more time-consuming and takes an amount of patience (degree of patience varies on length of book) because you have to paint the images with words and imagine them in motion. The only time these kids practise patience is probably while waiting for an app/game to complete its loading.

These kids consume; they do not create.

This is why I am so against Rania having an iPad/tablet. I reject the suggestion every time my parents ask for my opinion on getting her that electronic rectangular bane of imagination, since she has been using their phones to play apps/games.

No comments:

Post a Comment