Sunday, 25 December 2011

Writer's Block, Alice, Kumon, Movies and Books.

Before my mind, stands a writer's block. Not tall and mighty, though but it will get to that point if I laze around don't do anything about it.

Currently reading: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Kak Fadhilah told me that she can't handle the literary nonsense lurking in each letter of the book (not her exact words). But hey, Lewis Carroll's literary nonsense amuses me so I enjoy traveling Wonderland with Alice. I tried reading The Turn of The Screw but couldn't really grasp the meaning of the first two chapters. So I stopped. I'll pick it up again eventually. Maybe.

I started my first day of work at Kumon last Friday, December 23rd. It was alright. The kids there are smart. Like, hella smart. But then it's Kumon, so I expected that. What I didn't expect is that little kids, possibly aged 10 to 13 doing Additional Mathematics questions. Not the soveryextremelybossfight difficult ones though--so far I haven't seen any. Simple progressions, simultaneous equations (though these are included in Modern Mathematics also) and indices (not one of my favourite parts of Add. Maths). They count fast without relying on the counting machines and they're not careless (generalising, here). Well, that's Kumon for you! I found out that I was supposed to work in the English department--I also found out there's English for Kumon along with this--instead of Maths department which is where I'm currently assigned to. Kak Any said I'll be switching the two departments from time to time. Happy to oblige. I prefer English anyway :)

Once the new year's here, Aishah will be joining me. Hurrah for that!

I've been watching a lot of movies lately though not all at once so I can't label the activity as a marathon. In one week, I've watched Bad Teacher, Glee: The Concert Movie 3D (although I just experienced it in normal 2D form), Final Destination 5, Spirited Away, In Time and Cars 2. Those are all Mak Bon's. I borrowed the Star Wars saga from Kak Fadhilah which I have yet to watch. I'm so far from being a fan. I'm like in Narnia and Star Wars fandom base would be on Mars. That's how not-a-fan I am. But I'm giving it a chance since there is nothing much to do and I now have a lot of time to squander. Another thing I borrowed from Kak Fadhilah is Arthur Golden's Memoirs of a Geisha :)

Borrowed things :D

And two books have joined the shelfhold today! Please welcome J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire and Chuck Palahniuk's Tell All! I wanted to adopt Yoko Ogawa's Hotel Iris too but I didn't have enough cash. Sorry, Hotel Iris. Now all I need is the seventh book and my Harry Potter bookfamily will be complete!

No comments:

Post a Comment